Share:
 

Club History

The Roleystone-Karragullen Cricket club played for their first few seasons on 'Parkin's Oval', which already had a pitch (now the site of the Roleystone Recreation Centre). The first recorded cricket team in Roleystone started in 1929 and continued through the 1930's. This team consisted of the Parkin family: 8 sons, 2 sons in law and the father and some extras.

In 1937 Don Bradman, on his way to England with the Australian Cricket team had heard of the team and came to Roleystone to meet with them! The spectators for the game that day included Billy Brown, Lindsay Hassett and Donald J Chipperfield along with the Don!

The inaugural meeting of the Roleystone-Karragullen Cricket Club was held on the 13th of March, 1950. Since that date, the Club has had 22 Presidents.

Time Line

1950 Inaugural meeting of the Roleystone-Karragullen Cricket Club, convened by Messers Ken Knuckey and Ray Pound, was held on the 13th of March, 1950 in the 'old' Roleystone Hall adjoining Brookton Highway
  Club fields a B Grade side in the the South Suburban Cricket Association
  Inaugural coach was Maurice Mundy, an extremely experienced cricketer who had played for Western Australia
First Match Roleystone 8/228 declared defeated Maddington outright 44 and 28
  The Club's first 'duck' was made by opener Ray Pound and first 'Centurian' was Arthur Beales, an undefeated 101 in the first match
1950-52 Initially the home ground was located where the Roleystone Recreation Centre now stands. The move from ‘Parkin's Ground’ to 'Cross Park' was made in the year that the Club fielded its first A Grade side
1952 Council cleared current Cross Park Oval site
1950s RKCC members raked and attempted to level entire oval, although it effectively followed the natural slope of the hill
  RKCC members establish turf by donating water via large canvass bags
  The first shelter was a Bough Shed constructed of roughly hewn limbs and thatched with palm fronds. Peg Knuckey’s old kitchen table was placed in the centre.
  Eric Bettenay took on the challenge of establishing the ‘after match drinking facility’ by setting up a plank between two trees and this served as the bar for the keg – an essential part of the cricketing experience
Late 1950s Local Kelmscott Road Board member Jim Brierty assisted the RKCC in their application for financial support to construct the ‘New Pavillion’
  The cricket pavilion was built by Tom Elliot, Ken Knuckey, and RKCC volunteers with bricks and other infrastructure were provided by the Road Board
  RKCC members each donate two lengths of pipe and establish pipeline from Roleystone Primary School to irrigate oval
  RKCC members and local school children move sprinkler to provide water to oval
1960s Council levels oval to current aspect
  RKCC members again rake and level entire oval and re-establish turf
1973 Club first utilized the facilities provided at Pioneer Park in Karragullen and cricket matches have been played there since
Mid 1970s Pavilion extended to current configuration
1989 RKCC wins it's first A grade premiership
1996-97 South Suburban Cricket Association merges with Fremantle & Districts Cricket association to form the South metropolitan Cricket Asscoiation
2000 RKCC pavilion site of Roleystone's Millenium celebrations
2005-06 RKCC joins Swan & Helena Districts Cricket Association
2009 RKCC pavilion renovated to modern standard whilst keeping with original building style
2010 60th anniversary of RKCC     
2012 20 Senior Premierships in 62 year history